There are a range of training and informational resources available for GPs and other health practitioners seeking to learn more about digital mental health resources and how to integrate them into their practice.
This article breaks down 5 podcasts and free webinars developed for GPs, aiming to not only teach listeners about digital mental health programs and tools for their patients, but also for themselves. The resources below are all reputable, evidence-based Australian webinars and podcasts designed specifically for GPs, exploring the available resources, how to choose the right tool or program for their patient, how they can be integrated into practice, the barriers, and benefits of digital mental health resources.
1. Back to Basics – Integrating eMH into Practice
This webinar developed by Black Dog Institute and eMHPrac focuses on the techniques available to GPs to encourage patients to engage with e-mental health tools and resources. Dr. Jan Orman and Dr. Genevieve Yates discuss how to best encourage patients to use online resources and adhere to online treatment programs. Through the use of a case study they explore strategies, how to find suitable resources, obstacles, and how to overcome them.
- Identify suitable treatment options for mild to moderate common mental health conditions.
- Identify obstacles to e-mental health and ways to overcome them.
- Understand strategies for successfully referring e-mental health programs or guiding patients who have expressed interest in digital mental health tools through choosing the best option.
- Identify strategies to integrate digital mental health tools into care.
Access the webinar here: https://medcast.com.au/courses/191
2. Teaching your patients to fish: the benefits of online therapy
This podcast from Black Dog Institute discusses what GPs can do to help patients using online programs get the best outcomes. Dr. Jan Orman and Professor Gavin Andrews talk about the efficacy of iCBT, what GPs can do to encourage patients to try online mental health programs. They talk about the difference between self-guided and practitioner-supported use of digital programs, the research behind these resources, and the physical health benefits in addition to the mental health benefits.
3. eMH and Stepped Care: What GPs need to know
In this webinar from Black Dog Institute and eMHPrac, Dr. Jan Orman, Professor Ian Hickie, and Dr. Margi Gottlieb discuss the place of e-mental health resources and treatment programs in the mental health stepped care model. They discuss how e-mental health resources and programs fit into the wider mental health care landscape, aiming to inform GPs on how to maximise the benefits of e-mental health programs. The webinar will also explore the basics of digital mental health and the ways it can contribute to better patient outcomes through a case study.
- Overcome uncertainties about implementation and address issues with the new stepped care model for mental health.
- Understand where and how e-mental health resources and programs fit in stepped care and the wider landscape.
- Understand how to maximise the benefits of e-mental health treatment programs, particularly for those who don’t qualify for Medicare rebates for face-to-face psychological care.
Access the webinar here: https://medcast.com.au/courses/53
4. The Why, What, When and How of Mental Health Apps in Clinical Practice
This webinar developed by Black Dog Institute and eMHPrac discusses the controversial subject of mental health apps and their use in practice. Dr. Jan Orman, Dr. Debra Harris, Dr. Mark Erik Larsen, Dr. Jenni Koch explore the potential of mental health apps to enhance clinical work, how to determine which apps are worth attention, how to use them, and how to overcome barriers with patients.
- Understand the ways mental health apps can be used in clinical practice.
- Identify safe and reliable mental health apps for a variety of mental health conditions.
- Identify when and how to use mental health apps in practice and what to do to overcome barriers.
Access the webinar here: https://medcast.com.au/courses/245
5. Online Self Care for Doctors
In this webinar Black Dog Institute and eMHPrac explore the role e-mental health programs play in the lives of doctors, acknowledging the impact their work and busy lives can have on their mental health. Based on a clinical study, Dr. Jan Orman, Dr. Hilton Koppe, and Dr. Jill Gordon discuss the role digital mental health programs can play in their lives, particularly those at risk of developing or already suffering from mental health problems. They discuss how pratitioners states of mind and stress management can affect their own health, happiness, and ability to function at work.
- Explore how e-mental health programs can support practitioner’s mental health.
- Identify suitable digital mental health tools and programs.
Access the webinar here: https://medcast.com.au/courses/10
All of these webinars and podcasts are free to access and the webinars can contribute towards CPD points for health professionals.
Some earlier webinars refer to Mind Health Connect. This has been Head to Health since October 2017.