About PTSD Coach Australia
PTSD Coach Australia is an app that helps people understand and manage the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
The app is based on the latest scientific understandings of PTSD, and was modified from the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs PTSD Coach app.
PTSD Coach Australia contains:
- Up to date information about PTSD and treatments for PTSD
- A range of symptom management tools and techniques
- A PTSD assessment – allowing users to measure the severity of their symptoms over time, plot the results, and email them to a health professional
- A scheduler that allows people to manage all their health appointments and activities
- Information about where to find treatments and supports for PTSD in Australia– in the Defence health system, within the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, and in the community
Importantly: PTSD Coach Australia is not designed as a stand-alone treatment – ideally, it is a tool to use as part of treatment. Health professionals can download clinical notes on this app from www.at-ease.dva.gov.au.
Who is PTSD Coach Australia for?
PTSD Coach Australia has been designed for use by Australian veterans and serving Defence Force personnel.
Is there a cost to use PTSD Coach Australia?
This app is free to download on both Apple and Android products.
How to access PTSD Coach Australia’s services
PTSD Coach Australia can be downloaded from either the iTunes App Store or Google Play.
PTSD Coach Australia Research and Evaluation
A preliminary evaluation has been carried out on the U.S. version of the app, which the Australian version was modified from. This evaluation found that participants were very satisfied with the app and perceived it as being moderately helpful with their PTSD symptoms. The findings suggest that the app has the potential to help with self-management of PTSD.
Citation for the preliminary evaluation of the U.S. version:
Kuhn, E., Greene, C., Hoffman, J., Nguyen, T., Wald, L., Schmidt, J., Ramsey, K. M., & Ruzek, J. (2014). A preliminary evaluation of PTSD Coach, a Smartphone App for Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms. Military Medicine, 179(1), 12-18. doi: 10.7205/MILMED-D-13-00271