About Fighting Fit
‘Fighting Fit’ is a resource for all current and ex-serving ADF Members and their families. There are also targeted resources for specific personnel and situations, including Commanders, Reservists, ADF Members preparing for deployment, veterans, and health professionals.
Accessing ADF Mental Health & Psychology Services
Please call 000 for support in an emergency.
Defence is committed to promoting positive mental health for all ADF members and to enabling access to care that is recovery oriented. Early identification and access to treatment and rehabilitation for mental health issues are key priorities for Defence.
Mental health support is predominantly provided to members through the Mental Health and Psychology Services (MHPS) located on bases around Australia. Accessing support via an MHPS can occur by self referral, commander or manager initiated referral, or via referral by a medical or other health professional.
Self referral is where an ADF member contacts the service provider directly to obtain mental health or psychological services. Upon self referral, either by telephone, email or walk-in, you will undergo an intake assessment with a mental health provider either in person or over the phone. Defence members seeking to access specialist psychiatric services will require a referral from a Medical Officer.
Telephone and/or Online Support and Counselling Services
The following links provide details of services that provide 24/7 telephone and/or online support and counselling services for health and wellbeing issues.
These are not emergency services. For emergencies please call 000 (triple zero).
- Defence All-hours Support Line (ASL) – 1800 628 036The ASL is a confidential telephone service for ADF members and their families, available 24/7.
- Defence Family Helpline – 1800 624 608The Helpline is available 24/7 for ADF members and their families, and is staffed by qualified human services professionals including social workers and psychologists.
- 1800 IMSICK – 1800 467 425If you are away from base or for out-of-hours assistance, call to locate the nearest support.
- National Welfare Coordination Centre (NWCC) – 1800 801 026Advice and assistance for families of deployed personnel, available 24/7.
- Sexual Misconduct Prevention & Response (SeMPRO) – 1800 736 77624/7 support for Defence employees (ADF, Defence APS, male and female) affected by sexual misconduct.
- Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling – 1800 011 046Open Arms – Veteran and Families Counselling is a national mental health service that provides 24-hour free and confidential counselling, group programs and suicide prevention training for current and ex-serving ADF members, and their family.
Fact Sheets on a range of health and wellbeing topics are available for your reference, and include information on where to find help and support.