About Beyond Blue
Beyond Blue is a mental health organisation, providing supports and information on anxiety, depression, suicide prevention, supporting someone, parenting, grief and loss, substance use and staying well.
The Beyond Blue initiative began as a conversation between The Honourable Jeff Kennett and his then 19-year-old daughter Amy, who had lost two male friends in fatal car accidents.
“We thought at first it was a road toll issue but we found out their partners had left them for careers in the city, which was their right, and that had led them to suicide.” Still premier of Victoria, he called a group of experts together to brainstorm a solution. “They told me we had to deal with the root cause of suicide, which is depression, either emotional or clinical. It’s an illness.”
Who is Beyond Blue for?
Beyond Blue provides support for anyone affected by anxiety, depression and suicide.
What services do Beyond Blue provide?
Beyond Blue offers 24-hour telephone counselling, online counselling and a number of community forums with information and resources around anxiety, depression and suicide.
Where is Beyond Blue located?
Beyond Blue’s head office is located in Melbourne, Victoria. They do not offer their services in-person.
Is there a cost to use Beyond Blue?
No, calls from a landline and mobile are free. There is no cost to use the Beyond Blue’s support services.
When can Beyond Blue’s services be accessed?
Beyond Blue can be accessed at any time of the day. Their telephone counselling hotline operates 24-hours a day, with their online counselling available during working hours. Their forums and resources are always available through their website. Find more information about their working hours at their contact page.
How to access Beyond Blue’s services
Anyone across Australia can contact Beyond Blue via:
- 24 hour telephone counselling line (1300 22 4636)
- Online counselling available at the Beyond Blue website.
- Online forums available at the forums section of their website, discussing the following topics:
- PTSD & Trauma
- Suicidal thoughts and self-harm
- Staying well
- Treatments, health professionals and therapies
- Relationship and family issues
- Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition (carers)
- Long term support over the journey
- Young people
- Sexuality and gender identity
- Multicultural experiences
- Grief and loss