Australia is an international leader in the development of digital mental health programs.1 Internet treatment programs, online information, phone and web-based support provide improve access for low-intensity treatment options for people experiencing mild-moderate mental health conditions. 2 3
Many reputable Australian Institutions and organisations provide useful mental health online treatment programs and information, 1 with the first released in 2001. The expansion of online mental health resources has broadened the range of programs available to include different mental health conditions and specific and general populations.1
Evidence shows that for many people digital based mental health treatment can be as effective as face to face treatment.4 5 There is also increasing research of the effectiveness of internet based cognitive behavioural therapy showing equivalence in treatment for panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, tinnitus and irritable bowel syndrome.6
- Orman, J. & O’Dea, B. (2018). e-Therapy in primary care mental health, Australian Journal of General Practitioners, VOL. 47, NO. 4 168-172. Royal Australian College of General Practitioners.
- Australian Institute or Health and Welfare. Mental health services in Australia. Canberra, ACT: AIHW, updated 12 December 2017. Available at https://mhsa.aihw.gov.au/background [Accessed 22 January 2018].
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. National survey of mental health and wellbeing: Summary of results, 2007. Cat. no. 4326.0. Canberra: ABS, 2008. Available at www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/ Latestproducts/4326.0Main%20Features32007 [Accessed 22 January 2018].
- Andersson, G. & Hedman, E. (2013) Effectiveness of Guided Internet-Based Cognitive Behavior Therapy in Regular Clinical Settings. Verhaltenstherapie. 23:140-148.
- Titov N. Computer therapy for anxiety and depressive disorders is effective, acceptable and practical health care: A meta-analysis. PLoS One 2010;5(10):e13196. doi: 10.1371/journal. pone.0013196.
- Andersson, G. & Cuijpers, P. (2009). Internet-Based and Other Computerized Psychological Treatments for Adult Depression: A Meta-Analysis, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 38:4, 196-205, DOI: 10.1080/16506070903318960