Webinar 35 – Understanding and Managing Health Anxiety
Most people worry about their health at some point, but for 5% of Australians, anxiety about health can become debilitating. People with health anxiety experience disabling, often uncontrollable fears about getting sick or becoming sick. They may pay excessive attention to their body, scanning and checking their body for signs and symptoms of illness, google their symptoms a lot or seek excessive reassurance from health professionals, and loved ones about their health. Health anxiety can be experienced by people with and without diagnosed medical conditions, and for some, can persist even after getting the ‘all-clear’ or negative tests results from doctors. This webinar will help to explain when normal health concerns tip over to a serious mental health problem, and some practical tools and resources to help overcome health anxiety.
– Outline the symptoms and key features of health anxiety
– Outline recent changes to the diagnosis of health anxiety
– Describe some of the key psychological processes that underpin health anxiety
– Identify some helpful assessment tools for health anxiety
– Identify strategies that can help people with health anxiety, including online tools and resources
Comments are closed.