About Defence Family Helpline
The Defence Member and Family Helpline is a free service for Australian Defence Force members and families seeking support, information, or connection with their community, including local DCO teams. The helpline can provide assessment, assistance, advice or referral depending on the family’s needs from both within and outside Australia. They can provide:
- Help during a crisis
- Support during deployment, posting or relocation
- Referral to a Local Area Office
- Connection with community groups and local area resources
- Referral to a Education Liaison Officer
- Support for partner employment
- Assistance with children’s childcare or education
- Assistance for dependants with special needs
- Access to transition coaching
- Counselling for personal, relationship and family problems.
The Defence Member and Family Helpline is staffed by qualified human services professionals including social workers and psychologists.
Who is Defence Family Helpline for?
The Defence Member and Family Helpline is for Australian defence families both in Australia and internationally in crisis or seeking information and services.
Is there a cost to use Defence Family Helpline?
No – Defence Member and Family Helpline is free to access and call.
How to access Defence Family Helpline?
The Defence Member and Family Helpline is available 24/7 by calling 1800 624 608.
Australian Defence families who are living overseas can contact the Helpline free of charge by calling their country-specific Freecall number from a landline. The Freecall numbers are:
- United Kingdom: 0 800 051 2187
- North America: 1 855 809 3999
- Malaysia: 1800 816 443
- Papua New Guinea: 0 0086 1004
The Defence Member Family Helpline is also available via email at email@example.com and offer a response within 24 hours.