CanTeen is a website and online service providing peer support, information, and eCounselling to young people dealing with cancer.
Young cancer sufferers and their caretakers commonly report significant isolation and high levels of distress due to a lack of information. To mitigate this, CanTeen Online Support Service provides:
- A website offering adolescent- and young adult-friendly cancer information, as well as safe, 24/7 peer support (through forums and blogs).
- A professional eCounselling service, available via Instant Messaging, Email and Phone, seven days per week.
- Technology to allow young people to share written and video testimonials. This spreads awareness and helps cancer sufferers cope with their illness by sharing it with the world.
Who is CanTeen for?
CanTeen targets young people aged 12 to 25 years who are dealing with cancer. Commonly, these young people experience high levels of psychosocial distress, and are at elevated risks of mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. CanTeen also helps people with grief, loss and bereavement support.
Is there a cost to use CanTeen?
How to access CanTeen’s services
CanTeen has three tiers of registration:
1. Read Only access
- This allows users to view the site only. It requires minimal registration, and is completely anonymous.
2. Read and Post access
- This allows users to view the site and also post in the forums. Users must supply their name.
3. Full Access
- This allows users to have full access to the site. Users need to provide full demographic details, as well as complete two surveys.
CanTeen Research and Evaluation
An external evaluation agency has been contracted to evaluate CanTeen’s Online Support Service. Evaluation includes:
- Development and establishment of service evaluation (currently underway). This level of evaluation is investigating the planning, preparation, focus testing, staffing, development and use of young person advisory groups in the development and initial launch of the service.
In the near future, further site and service evaluation will include include Acceptability Surveys with site users. Also included will be an impact evaluation investigating the effectiveness of the website and inbuilt interventions for end users.