Parentline is a confidential telephone service providing professional counselling and support for parents and carers of children across Australia. Parents, carers and family members have direct access to qualified counsellors. There are a number of separate websites and phone lines for different states and territories (listed below).
Counsellors respond to calls concerning a range of issues including:
- parenting strategies for challenging behaviours
- parent-child relationships
- custody and access, and the
- emotional well-being of children and young people
Who is Parentline for?
Parentline is for parents, foster carers, other relatives, family friends, neighbours and professionals involved with children.
Is there a cost to use Parentline?
Calls from a landline will be charged the cost of a local call (apart from in Western Australia where it is a free call). Calls from mobiles may be charged at a higher rate.
Apart from normal internet charges, there is no cost to use web counselling.
How to access Parentline's services
Anyone across Australia can contact Parentline via:
- QLD & NT: www.parentline.com.au/ 1300 30 1300 (Phone: 8am-10pm/7 days AEST) (Online counselling: 11am-2pm/Tues & Thurs AEST)
- NSW: www.parentline.org.au/ 1300 1300 52 (Mon-Fri 9am-9pm, Sat-Sun 4pm-9pm) (Online counselling Mon-Tues 10am-12pm during school terms)
- VIC: www.education.vic.gov.au/about/contact/Pages/parentline.aspx 13 22 89 (8am-12am/7 days)
- SA: www.parenting.sa.gov.au 1300 364 100 (24/7)
- WA: https://www.dlgc.wa.gov.au/AdviceSupport/Pages/Parenting-WA-Line.aspx (08) 6279 1200 or 1800 654 432 (24/7)
- ACT: www.parentlineact.org.au (02) 6287 3833 (9am-5pm Mon-Fri) TAS: 1300 808 178 (24/7)
Parentline Research and Evaluation
The QLD & NT Parentline regularly publishes reports on client satisfaction and outcomes, which can be found on their website. According to the Parentline Annual Client Satisfaction and Outcomes Report 2014, results indicate that parents and carers experienced high quality counselling, had high levels of satisfaction and that the counselling provided by Parentline was effective.